Saturday, December 7, 2019

The Trial......

After waiting over three years for a trial date, we were scheduled for July 2019. I was excited. I guess most of my excitement was me believing that I would finally be able to close the book on this chapter of my life and make some type of attempt to move forward. But if you know "Murphy's Law" whatever can go wrong will go wrong. My Lawyer call's me to advise me that the trial has been moved to November 2019. When I questioned why? The response given was "The owner travels to Italy the same time each year, and doesn't wish to cancel his trip"! Well to hell with me and my family! We weren't even worth so much as an apology....

Year's of struggling, wondering how I'd pay my bill's, move, feed my family. Being permanently disabled and trying to live off of Social Security Disability is the greatest trick the devil ever pulled.
November 2019 finally arrives I'm happy I finally get my day in court.

Jury selection took a long time. When I looked at the final selection I was sure this was not a Jury of my peers. The Judge said "He sees the property manager at the gym from time to time but he doesn't know her"! Really, when I use to go to the gym I didn't even notice people unless we had a conversation or two..... I'm not an Attorney but it seems to me the Judge should have "Recused" himself. There was a substitute teacher on the Jury that told the Judge she knows the property manger. They're both teachers at the same high school but she has only subbed for her from time to time. The judge allowed her to stay oh, because she stated she could be fair.. What a joke! There were jurors sleeping which I bought to my attorneys attention. But I was told "we're not gonna report them to the judge because they would then give an unfavorable verdict". In my opinion the case was already a loss... Never in a million years did I think people would lie under oath, but it really didn't matter the case was in the defendants favor the moment the judge didn't recuse himself...

I mean the contractor swore the porch was fine had know door maybe one board loose. The property manager claimed "we fix things in a timely fashion" although there were over 10 months worth of text messages between her and I about the porch and more between her and the owner stating the porch needs to be replaced. The photo below was taken December 2016. They claimed they repaired the porch between August and October 2016. So can anyone explain to me why is there a picture taken in December 2016 of the porch still pulling away from the house? And still looks like this today.

The whole trial in my opinion was a joke. I guess they are simply held to save face. During Jury instruction the Judge inserted the word "No" in one of his instructions and sent the jurors to deliberate thank goodness myself and my attorney heard it. About 20 mins later after the court reporter read him (the Judge) the instruction back. The Judge called the Jurors back to correct himself. Again in my opinion it was to late the seed had been planted.

Needless to say with all the evidence, doctors reports etc. We lost the case. the Judge was gracious enough to allow my attorneys to file a motion within 5 days. Which they did, however those motions won't be argued in the court because the Judge denied them! I am angry I'm upset I'm pissed. lost wages, lost medical, lost stocks 401K depleted.. My life as I knew it before is gone. Do I start a go fund me page and beg for help? Do I get Pay pal, Cash app? I am literally in the Twilight Zone right now. Had someone told me this story I'd never would have believed them..

The owner threatened at his deposition once the case is over he would throw me out the house, and isn't it crazy not even 5 days after the court decision I receive a sixty day notice. But how can this be? If motions were filed this means the verdict will be on hold until the Judge renders a decision. Again the fix was in. I was sent the notice because they knew the motions would be denied. Year's of complaining thinking I was doing everything right. Trying to keep the peace spending my own money on this house. After 9 years of complaints it took a civil suit to get a new roof new windows new heating unit etc. And now I'm being thrown to the streets like trash. Could it be they're not making money off the house because they had to put money out finally? Either way it doesn't matter I'm left disabled and completely broke, and according to the Delaware court system the tenant is miraculously responsible for repairing an owners property.

As we try to find our way, I just want to tell people if your right fight make your voice heard, never ever allow a slum lord to take advantage of you or take your kindness for weakness because in my experience you will lose in the end and know one gives a damn....











6 comments:

  1. DO NOT give up. Escalate this to another court. Make them pay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The owner needs to ashamed of himself..how do people sleep at night...Whatever happen to a conscious, morals, just do the right thing. Yes you have to keep fighting I pray the landlord doesn't get away with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your response. I will continue to fight.

      Delete