Saturday, December 7, 2019

When your life as you knew it changes....





I often wondered  when people appeared in court would they lie under oath to save their own skin? Or, would they be compelled to tell the truth? I recently got my answer when I bought a Civil Suit against a slum lord. Honestly I believe I'm still in shock, but anyway here's my story...…..

At the time of my injury which caused me to be disabled for the rest of my life, I had  been living in this rental home for about 6 years. It wasn't in the best shape nor was it in the best neighborhood it was simply what I could afford. Before we get into "you should have just moved" you must understand it's much easier to say then do. I put a lot of my own money into the property trying to make it suitable for my daughter and I. However there were many things that I simply could not afford to do so I would bring these issues to the property manager and the owners attention. Most times the issues would be ignored.

I complained often about the porch attached to the rear of the home via phone calls and text messages. Often a contractor would come state the porch was "safe" and "the owner didn't want to pay him to do any work to the porch". I continuously took pictures and documented each and every complaint. I stopped allowing my daughter and her friends access to the porch, in spite of what the contractor said.

In June of 2016 my daughter asked if I could put some food on the grill for her and her friends. It was a Saturday and I was pretty much relaxing because I had to go to work on Sunday. I plugged my cell phone in so my daughter and her friends would have some music on while they sat at they table in the backyard. I alone was sitting in a chair on the porch. And this my friends is where my life would be forever changed..... I got up to go check the food on the grill and as I walked towards the door of the porch the floor board broke and my left foot went down through it! I immediately caught myself and began yelling profanities. (Obviously because my complaints fell on deaf ear's.) I yelled down to my daughter and told her to check the food on the grill and that I was going to bed due to having to go to work the next day. My daughter heard me yell and asked if I was alright. I replied yes and walked off the porch. I was so pissed. I walked off the porch angry and went upstairs to bed. 4:30 am comes around really quick, and Sunday's are my Monday.

At about 2:00 am I woke to go to the bathroom. As I stepped out my bed I fell to the floor, I kept trying to stand and kept falling. there was a sharp pain in my leg and I couldn't stand on my left foot. I was rushed to the hospital and immediately the doctor assumed the injury occurred on my job. (I guess because I was wearing a t-shirt from my job) I explained what occurred earlier at my home. the doctor took x-rays, gave me crutches and suggested I follow up with a podiatrist. About 3 hours after I returned home the emergency room doctor called to advise me to stay off my left foot due to bone fragments being chipped off the top of my foot.

I followed up with a podiatrist I had seen a month or so before. After seeing him several times he suggested I see his partner which I did. I was sent for what's called an "EMG" exam which revealed I had permanent nerve damage in my left leg. After months of being home my only option was to hire an attorney.

I recall a young man coming to my home to so call repair the porch. This man the owner claimed to be a licensed contractor. He was not, he was an addict on disability. This man came to my home left some tools, called the owner and told him he needed $300.00 dollars and went home and died from a overdose... 

4 comments:

  1. Wow, unbelievable. He should have fixed it the very first time you complained

    ReplyDelete
  2. SMDH....That's what happens when these people being cheap...and of course it was never fixed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes indeed, it's all about lining their own pocket's. Safety is not their concern.

      Delete